2010 April 7: MN Nevis township (Hubbard County): Wood stove ashes cause grass fire: Nevis grass fire extinguished; homeowner cited
Nevis firefighters doused a grass fire Tuesday afternoon caused by a homeowner who’d dumped the ashes from his wood stove on a debris pile hours earlier. By: Sarah Smith, Park Rapids Enterprise
Firefighters used hoses big and small to quell a grass fire east of Nevis Tuesday afternoon. (Sarah Smith / Enterprise)
“I guess there must have been some cinders still in there,” said Romke Zylstra, who lives off Highway 34 east of Nevis.
"When I got home I saw the smoke and thought my barn was on fire,” Zylstra said. “The wife had already called the fire department.”
The DNR issued Zylstra a citation for starting the fire.
The fire burned the grass up to Zykstra’s yard and would have threatened the house if he hadn’t caught it.
Tinder dry conditions and high winds fanned the burning grass.
“People just have to use common sense out here,” said Hubbard County Emergency Manager Brian Halbasch, who responded to the fire in his capacity as a deputy sheriff.