FAIRBANKS – Fire quickly engulfed and destroyed a large cabin near Chena Hot Springs Road.
The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported that 50-year-old Donald "Buster" Carver escaped Tuesday’s blaze without injury, but lost all his possessions.
Culver told the newspaper he heard popping from high in the wood stove’s chimney and on the roof. He phoned the North Star Fire Department and the 56-year-old cabin went up in flames the moment he stepped out the door.
North Star Capt. Justin Boddy attributed the fire’s fast progression to sawdust insulation and tightly sealed walls that kept the heat inside.
North Star firefighters have battled several chimney fires in recent week.